On the grassed area near the Heritage Wharf information kiosk.
Between 1873 and 1925, about 130 scows plied New Zealand's waters, mostly as transport workhorses. Along with a plethora of other vessels, some of which can be seen at the wharf, the flat-bottomed, shallow-draught scows were the lifeblood of many coastal settlements. Scows were indispensable, navigating narrow tidal estuaries and creeks. The Jane Gifford was based in Warkworth from 1921 to 1938, but then fell into disrepair before being lovingly restored.
Listen to recollections of 'The Jane' over the last century.
Photo: Warkworth & District Museum & Andrew Tunnicliffe