Owned by members of the Raymond family for over 100 years, this land was the site of three dwellings before two were burnt down in a fire leaving only the family home built by Engineer Charles Arthur Raymond in 1915 remaining today.
This existing exceptional cluster of around 17 different species of native trees were planted by Mr Burgess, a woodwork teacher at the Avondale Primary School who lived in the central house. The trees were planted to form a walkway and were originally signposted with names both in Latin and te reo Māori. These trees have since developed over the years into an important urban forest and a reminder of how this suburb has changed from a food basket for Tāmaki Makaurau Auckland, a horticultural area then residential - suburban homes and gardens, with further housing anticipated in and around this area in the near future.
Thanks to Dave Raymond, grandson of Charles Arthur Raymond for information, access to family archives and images of the original house and this part of Rosebank.