The Grinter brothers - Tom, Jim and Frank - purchased and flattened a hilly corner site on the corner of Mt Albert and Hayr roads in 1928, to build the district’s first service station and several shops. They operated the Three Kings Service Station on the site for close to 50 years.
The Grinter Brothers were prominent early developers in the area. Their service station is associated with early bowser service station design, and early retail development in Three Kings area. It is also associated with increased car ownership in the 1920s and ‘30s.
Prior to the development of their service station, the Grinters would load their trucks with petrol from huge tin drums. It was a tricky process. The drums would be propped on a tripod, then pushed down onto a spike that released the gas into a hose, which then drained into the trucks’ tanks.
The space above the shops was originally occupied by one of the Grinter women, but became the Electorate office of Labour MP Phil Goff in 1998.