The Edwardian villa at 520 Mt Albert Road is likely to have been built between 1908-1914 on land purchased by prominent local resident James Preston in 1908. Preston, who was well known in the Auckland horse racing scene, served on the Mt Roskill Road Board from 1918 and also chaired the local school committee for nearly two decades.
The house provides evidence of early 20th century development in the Three Kings area, together with the Mt Roskill Congregational Church opened in 1907, the Ranfurly Veterans’ Home established in 1903, and the “Coleraine” Logan Manor at 1 Warren Ave built in 1905.
It is a good local example of an Edwardian plastered brick villa. Although it has had some modifications, it retains evidence of its original form, materials and detail. The house is distinctive within the surrounding context because of its form, style and elevated position.