This site on the corner of Mt Eden and Mt Albert roads was identified as the site for a municipal building from as early as 1911, when the Mt Roskill Road Board put forward a proposal to build a hall in honour of King George V’s coronation. The board commissioned Onehunga architect J Park to draw up plans the same year, but the hall was never built.
On 29 September 1956 Mayor Keith Hay laid the foundation stone for the new building, which was designed by local architect Stephen G Wright and housed the council chambers, mayoral office and administrative departments. It was officially opened on 15 June 1957 by the Minister of Internal Affairs.
The building was for a number of years at the heart of local government decision-making and administration, and more recently under an amalgamated Auckland Council, the local board offices. It has been a local focus in terms of the council’s contact with the district’s community and is significant for its association with the Mt Roskill Borough and Auckland City Council.
In 2012, the building was closed due to weathertightness failures, however, a planned renovation commencing in 2016 will see it restored to its original 1957 footprint and reinstated as the ‘home of local government’.