The Mt Roskill Congregational Church was constructed in 1907 on a small section of land gifted to the Congregational Union of New Zealand by a friend of the church, Samuel Scarborough. It was originally intended as a Sunday school hall and church.
As one of the earliest community buildings in Three Kings, after the construction of the Veterans’ home, it served as an important public meeting place during the early 20th century. A church fellowship was formed in 1912 with 11 members, and the membership became a part of the Congregational Union of New Zealand in 1913. Some veterans’ home residents attended the Sunday services.
The church has undergone several significant modifications over the years. In 1913, a lean-to was added to the southern side of the church building to accommodate three new classrooms for more than 90 students and eight teachers. Further alterations took place between 1955 and 1957, including an extension to the Mt Albert Road side of the building. In 1982, more alterations were made to the original church rooms.
In 1946, the name of the church was changed from Mt Roskill to Three Kings. While most of the congregational churches in Auckland became Presbyterian in 1969, Three Kings Church was one of the exceptions.
In 1980, the church purchased a house and property adjacent to the building for use by the church community. Many years later in 2010, the house was demolished to make way for a modern church centre building and car park. The building’s roof and 1955 extension was restored in 2013.
Three Kings Congregational Church continues to hold regular Sunday services which are attended by a multi-cultural congregation.