Located on the eastern edge of the southern tuff ring of Te Tātua-a-Riukiuta (Three Kings) volcano, this block of Crown land was considered unsuitable for farming and was handed to the Waste Lands Board in 1855.
In the 1880s, several dense ‘plantation reserves’ were established here as part of the Auckland Provincial Government’s scheme to beautify the district and attract rainfall. Trees were also planted for firewood and the shelter of animals that grazed the public lands. There was continued debate about the grazing of stock that took place along all the roadsides.
The Mt Roskill Road Board (later Mt Roskill Borough Council) built an administration building on the site in 1902. The road board became Mt Roskill Borough Council in 1947, and when its new Municipal Chambers opened on the corner of Mt Eden and Mt Albert roads in 1957, the old building became the Three Kings social centre.
By the late 1960s, the building was run-down. It was later demolished in the mid-late 1970s.