Women’s Suffrage Memorial

View Map map

Rose Park, on the corner of Warren Avenue and Mt Albert Road, was formerly the site of the first store in Three Kings. A store was established here in 1903, mainly to service the nearby Veterans’ Home, and later became a post office and telephone bureau. 

A striking suffrage memorial was unveiled here on 19 September 2013, on the 120th anniversary of Women’s Suffrage in New Zealand. New Zealand was the first self-governing country in the world to grant all women the right to vote in parliamentary elections. More than 50 people turned out to commemorate this significant occasion.

The memorial was commissioned by Puketāpapa Local Board and designed and made by artists Matthew van Sturmer and Carmen Sosich of MVS Studio. Constructed from Corten steel, the design is an abstract interpretation of the camellia flower, an important symbol of the suffrage movement in the 1890s.

The base plate of the memorial is inscribed with the names of the local women suffragists who signed the petitions to Parliament, which eventually succeeded in bringing about the vote, and words such as ‘courage’ and ‘strength’ are also etched into the sculpture.

The names of all women elected to both local and central government representing the Mt Roskill community, including Prime Minister, Helen Clark, are also inscribed on plaques as part of the memorial.

arrow_back Previous arrow_forward Next